Aubergine Hummus Recipe
Updated: Oct 5
A Nutritious Mediterranean Inspired Recipe
The combination of nutritious ingredients makes this Mediterranean inspired aubergine hummus recipe a delicious and healthy dip or spread. It's one of my favourite summer BBQ dip recipes. Perfect for snacking, as a sandwich spread, or as a party appetiser. Enjoy its smooth texture, rich flavours, and all the fantastic benefits of the plant based nutritious ingredients.
1 large aubergine
1 can (400g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
2. Slice the aubergine in half lengthwise. Score the flesh with a knife in a crisscross pattern. Place the aubergine halves, flesh side up, on the prepared baking sheet.
3. Drizzle the olive oil over the aubergine halves and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until the flesh is soft and tender.
4. Remove the aubergine from the oven and let it cool slightly. Scoop out the flesh using a spoon and transfer it to a food processor.
5. Add the drained chickpeas, tahini, minced garlic, lemon juice, cumin, and paprika to the food processor.
6. Process the mixture until smooth and creamy. If needed, add a splash of water or additional olive oil to reach the desired consistency.
7. Taste the hummus and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice if desired.
8. Transfer the aubergine hummus to a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and sunflower seeds. Serve with warm wholemeal pitta bread for dipping and a Mediterranean salad on the side.
Nutritional Benefits of this Delicious Dip Recipe:
Aubergine is a low-calorie vegetable that is rich in fibre and antioxidants. It contains vitamins C, K, and B6, as well as minerals like potassium and manganese.
Chickpeas are an excellent source of plant-based protein and fibre which is great for gut health. They also provide important nutrients like iron, folate, and magnesium.
Tahini is made from sesame seeds and is a good source of healthy fats, protein, and minerals such as phosphorus, copper, and manganese.
Garlic adds flavour to the hummus and contains compounds that have potential health benefits, including reducing the risk of heart disease.
Olive oil provides monounsaturated fats, which are considered heart-healthy. It also adds richness and creaminess to the hummus.
Lemon juice not only adds a tangy flavour but also provides vitamin C and antioxidants.